There are quite a few options for sunless tanning towelettes these days, not all are worth the effort, after all, you may get stuck with an awful sunless tan for the longest 3 days of your life. Good thing there are some guinea pigs out there, like me, to let you know which are the best of the bunch and to make your life a bit less stressed.
I’ve used the L’Oréal Paris Skincare Sublime Bronze Sunless Tanning Towelettes among others, so I knew what to expect and how it compared to other brands. Ultimately what this means is that I could note any improvements or downfalls in my assessment.
Let’s just take a brief moment to talk about how clever these towelettes are in general. For avid tanners and for those who desperately need color all the time, these sunless tanning towelettes are a Godsend. They are easy to use and can go with you anywhere and everywhere so you can keep your tan flawless and fleeking all week long.
How to these tanning towelettes
If you are new to using tanning towelettes, let’s just run through a quick guide to making your first experience a good one. So before you even rip into a packet of one of these towelettes, you need to get your skin ready. Clean and clear skin is the key to arriving at the best results and will make your sunless tan last even longer. So if you can, take a shower, shave the areas that need to be shaven and exfoliate your body with a good exfoliating cleanser combined with the scrubbing force of a loofah. This will not only remove dirt from the surface of your skin but also smooth away rough spots, clear blackheads and clean the pores, leaving your skin soft, supple and primed for tanning.
Remove the towelette from the packet, unfold and begin wiping it across your skin in long strokes, covering as much surface area as possible. Keep your strokes close together and consistent to avoid arriving at streaks and an uneven application. Add a bit of pressure when applying in an attempt to work the solution into your skin for complete absorption.
Allow the sunless tanning solution to dry on the skin without touching or interfering with it. Then leave it there for another 4 hours or so, for it to continue developing your complexion.
I found these towelettes to be quite effective and a pleasure to use. First, they don’t smell
The towelettes are made of a good, sturdy and thick enough material to not only get the job done properly but were also quite absorbent, so much so that I was able to use one sheet all over my body without it drying out.
The tanning solution goes on clear and after about the first hour, I was able to see my tan start forming. It took a little over four hours for it to completely develop, leaving my skin with a heightened bronzed hue.
I didn’t experience any discrepancies with my tan, it was even throughout, no blotches or streaks were seen. However, a good application is partly the cause for good results.
Things to Watch Out For
- Lightly wipe the towelettes over places like the elbows and knees that already have a darkened look to avoid those areas from getting even darker by the sunless tanner. A great tip is to apply Vaseline or lotion to those areas so as to prevent the tanning solution from absorbing into the skin.
- If possible, wear latex gloves when using the towelette to prevent the tanning solution from adhering to your palms and nails. If you don’t have gloves, simply wash your hands with soap and water immediately after application.
- If you have super sensitive skin, there have been reports of some users who got an allergic reaction after using these L’Oreal Sunless tanning towelettes. But because they are so good, I still recommend giving them a try. Just be sure to do a patch test first on a small area of your skin and on a spot that is more prone to breaking out to really know what you’re getting yourself into.
- Reapply for even darker results; if you didn’t arrive at the desired skin tone, you can use another towelette and repeat the application process so that your skin darkens even further.
- Use lightly on the face, simply wipe the towelette in brisk swipes over the skin instead of rubbing it in. It’s always best to achieve lighter results on the face than the rest of your body so that your tan looks natural.
- If you want your color to last, reapply every three days before the sunless tanner fades. This will allow you to maintain your desired skin color and keep your tan looking consistent and even.
These L’Oréal Paris Skincare Sublime Bronze Sunless Tanning Towelettes may be great to use but they do fall short with a couple of things.
For one, there isn’t much-staying power after you apply it. Expect your tan to last about 3 days max after which it will begin to fade. Fading isn’t a pretty picture either, in my experience, the tan faded in sporadic places over my body. I’m not sure if I should blame this completely on this tanning product or the fact that my activities and choice of clothing could have played a role in its patchy subdue. I wear fitted jeans a lot, so I couldn’t help but imagine that I would see fading on my upper thighs, hips and rear end where the jeans would rub on my skin all day. I also sweat a lot; 2 minutes in the sun and I am a hot mess, so of course, my fake tan will get streaky and blotchy.
Overall, I think these sublime bronze sunless tanning towelettes are a pretty good purchase. You won’t be disappointed with the results it gives you. The tan makes your skin look natural and the towelettes make application quite easy. Because it doesn’t last as long as I would want, I decided to knock off a point and give it a 4-star rating.
- Six individually wrapped self tanning towelettes for a smooth and streak free medium natural tan
- Convenient and easy to use these self tanning towelettes have enough self-tanner for one application and are made with vitamin E to provide a beautiful, natural looking tan and ultra smooth skin
- Self tanning formula that’s perfect for on the go applies easily and dries quickly; soft and smooth natural looking sunless tan develops in 2 to 4 hours
- For best results use daily until you have achieved your desired level of tan then use 1 to 2 times per week to maintain your sunless tan
- Suitable for all skin types, perfect on the go applies easily and dries quickly